Superintendent ‘s Letter
Dear Friends of Capac Community Schools:
After months of public meetings, the Capac Community Schools Board of Education will be placing a bond request before our voters. As we are all aware, public schools in Michigan have had their state funding severely reduced. Over the past several years, this has caused schools to make many cuts and reductions. It is no longer possible to do necessary repairs and replacement of equipment out of our general fund budget. After years of cutting to the bone, Capac Schools has found it difficult to fix our buildings and acquire necessary instructional equipment.
The timing of a bond request is good because the school district has 2.44 mills expiring in May. This millage will replace the expiring millage with a net zero debt tax millage increase, and will allow the district to take steps to make our schools the 21st Century schools our students, parents, and community expect and want. To put it another way - without increasing your taxes, Capac Schools can move ahead in repairs, replacement, and improvements.
The date of the bond election will be August 6, 2013. This will be a special election. The amount of the bond request is $9,760,000. The money raised by this bond issue will finance the following:
• Improved roofs, security and safety for elementary students and visitors are major priorities of the bond issue.
• Replacements such as 48 windows will improve the educational setting and instruction of elementary students.
• Mechanical units, gym lighting and the school walkway will be replaced.
• New computers and instructional technology will be available to all students and faculty.
• Upgrades to the elementary school playground will be made.
• Improved emergency lighting, security and safety for students and visitors will be made.
• Renovations will improve school energy efficiency and technology will improve the educational setting and instruction of many students.
• More computers and instructional technology will be available to both students and faculty.
• The major bond issue priorities are needed roof replacements plus upgraded entrance security for students and increased energy efficiency.
• Science lab and technology upgrades throughout the building will improve the educational setting and instruction for students.
• Extensive gym, weight/locker room and school track updates are planned.
• Mechanical units, windows and school lighting will be replaced and receive enhanced controls.
• More than a dozen doors will be replaced to increase fire safety.
• Drinking fountains will be adjusted for handicapped students and there will be minor asbestos removal.
All Buildings and Transportation
• The bond issue projects will also improve handicapped accessibility to all school and evening functions.
• A new cafeteria/performance stage will be located in the elementary school that will create more spaces for indoor practices and extracurricular activities such as concerts and plays for the entire district.
• Four busses will be purchased to maintain a reliable fleet.
• Site improvements will be made.
I welcome your thoughts on our schools. I can be reached at 810-395-4321 or email@example.com
Dr. Charles C. Smith
Dr. Charles C. Smith
Please feel free to contact me if you have any comments or questions.
Phone: (810) 395-3700